Wednesday 10 February 2016

Sephora, you understand me!

Sephora’s brick and mortar store has been every woman’s dream/getaway/therapist/alter ego. The neatly/deliciously/attractively arranged products, the signature black, white and red store design, friendly and approachable staff, the color IQ innovation and the beauty studio have been pieces of the brand that have been loved by the consumers! Their Loyalty program, birthday gifts and quick delivery has worked well for the business. More than anything, they have been up-to-date with trends, constantly innovated on customer experience, exhibited seamless retailing and been on top of their digital marketing game.
Well , that was not enough,
Just last week, Sephora launched its ‘Virtual Artist’ update on the ‘Sephora to-go app’ – another disruptive innovation in today’s tech obsessed consumer world. This augmented reality innovation let’s you try lipsticks and lipglosses on the go! I obviously tried it and I think it’s the best experience you could give a consumer.
I sat on my couch and tried about 30 lip colors. It lets you swipe through 3000 lip colors and choose according to your preference of brand, shade family or format. I could try colors independently but also compare 4 different colors that I shortlisted. The most exciting part was that I tried shades that I would never try in the store probably because it was something I through was too risque for my personality. So to sort of synthesize the experience I think it was a win on:

- Time: I tried 30 shades of lipcolor sitting in my living room. I would probably not have the time and patience to do the same in the store.

- Convenience: Apart from sitting on my couch and trying it, I am saving myself from the chapping and drying due to applying and removing excessively. I also get an accurate idea of the color as there is no stain or residue from the previous color I tried. Beyond that, there are only so many lipsticks that one can try in the store, but who cares when you’re lazing with Netflix?

- Comparability: I could compare different lip shades and be completely satisfied with my pick!

- Trust: I subconsciously trusted the brand more as it was willing to give me an experience at my time, my convenience and without chapping my lips!

- Experience: It was a feel good and rewarding experience. I had never done something like this before!

From the strategy point of view, I think this is a great example of understanding your consumer. There is beauty, confidence, excitement and anticipation when one embarks on cosmetic shopping. There is an intrinsic desire to come back with a product that makes you feel something you’ve never felt before. You know that feeling when you walk out of a Blow dry bar, you hair flying in the wind, your inner goddess doing cartwheels and the world at your feet? That is an expectation when it comes to buying lipstick too. You want to feel amazing, garner compliments and be sure of your purchase.And above all, buying lipstick is fun and Sephora is laid out in a way that makes you want to try every lipstick in there – NOW YOU CAN!

In the end, I was a happy shopper who had 4 lipcolors in her cart :) Bravo, Sephora!

No comments:

Post a Comment